Level 3 Award in Risk Assessment
Risk assessments are one of the main precaution that are fundamental in establish a health and safety management systems (HSMS); the International Labour Organization (ILO), international standards Organization (ISO) and National Legal requirements are all dictating the need to have effective risk assessment implemented in orgnizatsion to ensure that the risks are reduce to as low as reasonably practicable.
Serious incidents can be prevented if orgnizatsion establish an effective risk assessment process within its HSMS as the hazard identification process will enable the organization to create a process to control all its hazards through the implementation of a risk assessment.
The qualification aims to provide delegates with the basic knowledge necessary to understand the principles and steps of how to conduct risk assessment and equip them with the skills that enable them to identify hazards and control them effectively through he application of the knowledge gained.
Completion of the course allows your employees to conducted and review risk assessments and ensure control of hazards identified.
The course identifies the hazards and outlines the implementation of hierarchy of control concept to all identified hazards.
The course 20 hours duration is at level 3, with credit value of 2, is designed for personnel who need to gain the skill of hazard identification, assessing the risks and establishing effective controls.
The course will fulfil the requirements of the Bahrain ministerial order no. (8) of 2013 with respect to regulating occupational safety and health in establishments article 7 and article 8.
At the end of the course Learners will be able to:
1. Understand the main reasons for the need for risk assessment process.
2. Understand and Perform Hazard Identification
3. Identify who might be at risk (including vulnerable personal) and how
4. Evaluate the risk level of the hazard identified
5. Apply the risk matrix knowledge of the risk assessment
6. Implement the hierarchy of controls measure
7. Understand how the hazard, hazard identification, risk and risk management are addressed by latest OS&H MS standard (ISO 45001:2018)
Content of the course:
• What is meant by Risk Assessment?
• Why Assess Risks?
• What des “Suitable and sufficient” means?
• Specific legal requirements of Risk Assessments
• Who should conduct risk assessment?
• Definition of Important Terms
• Accidents Categories
• Types or Forms of Risk Assessment
• How to conduct risk
o 5 steps/ Stages of Risk Assessment
o Step 1 Identify the hazards
o Step 2 Decide who might be harmed and how
o Step 3 Evaluate the risks and decide on precautions
o Step 4 Record your findings and implement them
o Step 5 Review your assessment and update if necessary
• Sources of Information
o Safety Data Sheet Activity
o Secondary sources
• Effective Control implementation
o Hierarchy of Controls
o Engineering Controls
o Administrative Controls
o Personal Protective Equipment
• Risk Assessment ISO45001 Requirements
• how the hazard, hazard identification, risk and risk management are addressed by latest OS&H MS standard (ISO 45001:2018)
- White boards
- Scenario Application
- Individual Activities
- Group Activities
- Building A Risk Assessment throughout real scenarios
- Video demonstration of Risk Assessment technique
Question Paper 1 hour
Practical Assessment 2 hours