Level 1 Award in Food Safety for Catering
The objective of this qualification is to prepare learners for employment, or to support a current position within a low-risk role, where there is an element of food handling. This could include bar workers, waiting staff, health care workers, kitchen porters and stock/storeroom staff. Learners gaining this qualification will know that food safety is the responsibility of everyone involved in the storage, preparation, processing, packing and handling of food. Its topics are regarded by the Foods Standards Agency as being important to maintaining good practice in the production of safe food.
- LO1 – Understand the importance of personal hygiene and keeping work areas clean and hygienic in a catering environment
- 1.1 – State the importance of personal hygiene when in contact with food o risks from poor personal hygiene o poor habits
- 1.2 – Identify good personal hygiene practices
- 1.3 – State the importance of keeping work areas clean and pest free in a catering environment
- 1.4 – State how to keep the work area and equipment clean in a catering environment
- 1.5 – State the importance of safe waste disposal
- LO2 – Understand personal responsibilities for food safety and how to keep food safe in a catering environment.
- 2.1 – State the importance of food safety in a catering environment the benefits of good food safety.
Presentation, classroom discussions and classroom activities.
This qualification is assessed by multiple-choice written examination.
Level 1 Award in Food Safety for Catering Certificate from Highfield.